Anchored off Cape Breton Island – waiting weather change

September 24, 2010

 TODAY PRIDE ANCHORED AT CAPE BRETON ISLAND

Pride is a new but temporary inhabitant in Inhabitant Harbor, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada (near the town of Port Hawkesbury).  We dropped anchor here about two hours ago (1400 EDT or 1500 ATD) for the purpose of waiting out a change of weather.

After successfully negotiating the last gale we are attempting to make best use of the new forecasts for fresh to strong southwest wind starting early tomorrow by hiding in a protected harbor till that weather pattern changes. If I have understood the forecast properly we will be anchored here till Sunday morning waiting for the wind to shift from the current light to moderate west to northwesterly wind to south to southwest 20 to 30 knots starting late tonight and going through all of Saturday. When that pattern blows itself out it seems the next wind pattern is to start on Sunday from north to east to southeast to south at between 10 to 20 knots though Tuesday throughout the length of Nova
Scotia. This new forecast to start on Sunday would be a favorable sailing pattern…whereas the southwest pattern would contrary…so we will remain temporary inhabitants in Inhabitant Harbor in hopes for a more favorable wind pattern.

While we wait, crew have jumped into vessel maintenance. Tomorrow we will continue with maintenance and cleaning. If we receive the favorable wind pattern on Sunday…we should continue to be on schedule for the planned arrival in Boston October 2.

Cheers, 
Jan C. Miles, Captain aboard Pride of Baltimore II


  1. No Comments


  2. Leave a Reply

    Comments in this post are closed.